Dash cams have gotten a lot better in quality over the years and are now also much cheaper in price than you may be thinking. Many truckers have turned to using dash cams for several reasons including protection from being charged with a”preventable” and “non preventable” accidents, recording DOT and law enforcement interactions and also for sharing interesting things you see on the road with family and friends.
Fleet owners are also turning to dash cams to lower insurance rates, protect their drivers and to fend off lawsuits that otherwise would be lost in the courtroom without video evidence. The bias against truckers and trucking companies often results in unfair and predatory litigation that cost the industry millions.
POST UPDATED: 8/27/2015
The Best Dash Cam For Truckers
The Kdlinks X1 is by far the best dash cam for truckers and fleets out on the market for several reasons. The video recording is in full 1080P High Definition at 30 FPS (Frames Per Second) and is crystal clear, day or night. The days of grainy “what am I looking at video” are long gone. This dash cam can also capture audio within the cab.
The wide angle (165 degrees) also makes this the best dash cam for truckers because it captures what is happening in a wide turn better than a camera with a narrow field of vision. This dash cam also utilizes F1.6 Six night vision for crisp image capture at night as well as during low light situations at dusk, dawn or through tunnels. The overall quality is outstanding and will put up with the extended recording times, harsh conditions, vibrations, temperatures and environments that truckers experience on a daily basis.
Watch a full 11 minute independent review of the Kdinks dash cam from unboxing to real footage and GPS tracking.
Dash cams protect truck drivers and fleets by providing a real unbiased eyewitness account, 24-7. The first thing that comes to mind is protection from a civil or criminal court case but dash cams are also for great for submitting claims to insurance companies. As you can see below sometimes highly unusual incidents occur on the road that can be nearly impossible to prove without real video evidence.
**This is not recorded with a Kdlinks dash cam and is only an example of an unusual incident.**
A great dash cam with awesome features
The Kdlinks X1 Dash Cam has an excellent suction cup style attachment, and yes it really sticks and stays stuck. Just remember to clean your windshield well before placing it. The quality of this dash cam is excellent and will hold up to the long days of continuous recording, vibrations, dust and extreme temperature ranges that truckers face on a daily basis. A few of the features that make this the best dash cam for truckers are:
- Built in G-Sensor locks data to memory (sudden impacts, hard braking and accidents are automatically stored to memory)
- Manual emergency lock button stores footage to memory
- Loop recording: automatically overwrites oldest footage with the newest for seamless continuous recording.
- 8G Micro SD card Included (can use use or upgrade to an HD card if needed/wanted)
- 12 volt; easily plug into any cigar/cigarette lighter outlet/plug, the power cord is very long.
- Built-in GPS module precisely records GPS data into video clips. You can check vehicle location/speed/route on Google Maps through included KDLINKS Player Software. This an included optional feature and the GPS doesn’t have to be used.
- 2.7″ size screen for easy viewing
- 165 degree ultra wide angle lens digital zoom for capturing plate numbers at farther distances.
- Temperature safe and tested from -40° to 170°, 3rd party lab tested
- One year warranty covering anything (additional 2 year low cost coverage option)
- Great customer service with a 24 hour turnaround time to all emails, 80% being answered within 1 -4 hours
Another great feature of the Kdlinks X1 Dash Cam is that it has a built in microphone. The audio recording is very clear and legible and you can turn off the audio recording if you choose to do so.
What’s included with the dash cam
- In-car charging cable – 12 volt cigarette lighter outlet.
- Swivel Suction Mount Bracket – Allow you easily position the camera at any angle and will rotate 360 degrees within the vehicle while suction cupped. This allow you to turn it to face the side windows if you would like to record the officer during a traffic stop or DOT inspection.
- One suction cup WITH GPS module
- One suction cup WITHOUT GPS module
- 8GB Micro SD card
- User Manual – Detailed information and easy to understand.
- CD with Video Player Software for GPS Function
Cons & what could be improved
The KDLINKS is one of, if not the best dash cams out there but it does have a few things we would change and want you to be aware of them.
- The battery will only last for 1 to 2 minutes when unplugged and is only meant as an emergency back up if the camera is accidentally unplugged. This is very typical though of any dashcam that we used and/or reviewed.
- The included SD micro card is standard definition, we would like to see a larger HD card included instead. You can add a HD card yourself for little cost if you desire.
Other Dash Cams For Truckers
While the Kdlinks is the best dash cams for truckers available we realize that everyone has different budgets and needs so we want to provide other options that may work for you or your truck fleet.
The falcon dash cam is Kdlinks most fierce competitor. The only reason that we did not make it our number one pick is that we (our opinion only) felt that the overall quality was slightly less than the kdlinks trucker dash cam. With that being said though the Falcon dash cam is lower in price on average and still is a great quality quality dash cam for truck fleets and drivers.
- Full HD 30 FPS recording with GPS and a 64GB SD card
- Wide angle 170° lens
- Great video quality
- Automatic accident capture and saving
- 2.7″ screen
- Audio recording
- Night vision must manually be turned on
- Continuous loop recording
Black Box G1W Dash Cam (Budget Friendly)
Coming in at a very low price point this dash cam is great for those truckers or fleets not needing or wanting a higher quality dash cam. The recording look great on this cam but the angle is only 140° and the overall quality is lower than other dash cams. It does not include a memory card and you must use the older class 4 or 6 SD cards or you will get memory errors. Users also report the the instruction book is hard to understand and the unit is not GPS capable.
- Locks accident data automatically
- 140° recording angle
- LED night vision
- Loop recording
- No Gps
- Responsive customer service
- Can be zoomed in